How to be a ride leader
Ride leaders are the heart and soul of our club and our best advocates for safety.
Our volunteer ride leaders keep our 35+ rides going all year long. We are always
looking for more leaders to lead a ride or even lead a group inside a ride. Please
join our group!
What are the requirements to become a ride leader?
- Be a Hightailers member in good standing.
- Have cycled a minimum of 10 MHBC group rides.
- Attend Traffic Skills 101 and/or additional club provided training.
- Attend biannual club ride leader meetings.
- Complete two mentored rides. Mentored rides are coordinated through the
MHBC Weekly Ride Coordinator. Mentored rides will cover pre-ride
responsibilities, effective ways to lead a ride, effective ways to sweep a ride,
effective ways to manage a large ride with several assistants. Also covered will
be expectations for safety briefings before the ride, how to handle a rider not
riding safely, how to handle an accident or incident and what to do after a ride.
Tools for group rides will be covered. These tools are Dog Attack or Automobile
Incident Form, Insurance forms, weekly ride feedback form and our rules of the
Ride leader incentives
- Unique MHBC Ride Leader Jersey will be presented after all requirements are
- No cost for any club rides with the exception of the BCB ride.
- Group leaders will get half priced club rides for all except the $5 rides and the
BCB. $5 rides will be free.